This post is an annual tradition it seems. The highlights of 2008 were great, but the highlights of 2009 sure do shine! <insert groans of how corny that was here>
Why was this a great year? Let me share with you some of the incredible memories I have of the year gone by:
- Presenting an award-winning presentation with Warren Springer at UBC’s Student Leadership Conference
- Coaching the UBC’s JDC West Social Team – who came home with a first place finish
- Helping the boys of Mr. Vanier 2009 learn some new dance moves (and my predecessor some tricks on making Mr. Vanier an unforgettable experience)
- Volunteering backstage at GM Place for The Power Within event – and getting to meet and spend time with Jamie Clark and Mimi Donaldson
- Having my great friend, Conor Topley, finally return to Vancouver after a year of adventuring around the world
- Making fun of Britney Spears when she came to Van-city and postponed her performance lip syncing due to the “smoke in the building“
- Determining my Style Statement: Bold Affinity (hat tip to my sis and Danielle LaPorte for this one)
- Auditioning for the Opening Ceremonies for the Vancouver 2010
- Being there to welcome Run For One Planet back to Vancouver after a year apart – and many marathons around North America!
- Presenting at the CCAE National conference with Ryan Rodrigues from UWO on Web 3.0
- Being invited to attend the LEAD initiative presentation with Carl Wieman and John Kotter. The videos from this event can be found here.
- Spending a weekend on the island with Rob in the newly opened Black Rock Resort
- Travelling around Europe with recent grads from the University of California Santa Barbara – they were wild
- Attending a “secret performance” by Jason Mraz in Paris with about 50 other people
- Running around in my underwear for the Vancouver Underwear Affair – a summer tradition
- Visiting my best friend, Andrew Haas, in Burlington, Vermont with the fantastic Ange Cullen
- Watching Meg Fyfe become Meg Watkins in a beautiful wedding and hilarious reception (Dante!)
- Being with Steph as she finished Ironman Canada (and tweeting for her all along the way)
- Speaking about the “real way to network” at Sauder’s Frosh – hands down the most memorable presentation for me of 2009!
- Volunteering at We Day - pretty amazing to see the Dalai Lama, Jane Goodall, and Jason Mraz all on one stage
- Being in the 2nd row for, yet another, Jason Mraz concert – three times in one year!
- Listening to some ideas worth spreading at UBC’s TEDxTerry Talks
- Roadtripping up to Kelowna with Woo for some fun in the interior
- Starting my new job as the Alumni Relations Manager for the Faculty of Science at UBC
- Dancing around UBC with some incredible friends as part of a little video project … stay tuned to see the release in 2010!
- Being a panelist for the all-male panel at the Young Women in Business‘ Beyond Pink Conference
- Organizing a very successful planning retreat for the Development, Student Services, Communications and Career Services teams within Science
- Celebrating one year with my incredible partner
- Officially joining the No’Mo’SoLo team – we’ll laugh about this one day I’m sure…
- Paying off all my student debt!
- Kicking off the best vacation yet with incredible friends and family all together – insert joke about Teen Beat here
Thank you to everyone who made 2009 what it was: a year to remember. I wish you all a safe and frickin fantastic new year. The best is yet to come!
Pick of the post: Janet Jackson – Make Me (music video)